My great grandmother Helga, born 1879 (whom you saw in the previous post with the traditional Norwegian wedding costume, crown and all) was born on one of the nearby farms called Seljeset. She had a sister Oline (born 1884) and two brothers Peder (born 1876) and Ivar (born 1886). Both her brothers emigrated. This is her youngest brother Ivar, and the picture he sent home shortly after he had arrived “over there”:
Look at the handsome young fella, with his traditional Norwegian Hardingfele!
Ivar emigrated from Norway in 1909. I do not know where he stayed at first. A few years later in 1914, a girl named Johanne from a neighbour farm crossed the ocean and Ivar and Johanne were joined in marriage in 1916 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They probably stayed in Minnesota for a while, their first child was also born in Minneapolis in 1917. But after that they headed for Canada, and settled there for good:
- Ruth Ines Knudson was born on 7 May 1917 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and died on 6 Sep 1971 in Vancouver, British Columbia, at age 54.
- Ruth married Ellis Delman Joe Joberg (b. 4 Aug 1916, d. 23 Oct 1988) on 14 May 1940 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Conrad Elmer Knudson was born on 27 Jun 1919 in Unity, Saskatchewan, Can and died on 7 Sep 1986 in Vancouver, British Columbia, at age 67.
- Conrad married Euphemia Pirret Effie Menzies on 13 Mar 1953 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Ida Ella Knudson
- Ida married Albert N. Brady on 27 Jun 1942 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
I also have a few names of further descendants leading me to believe we have family in Vancouver, Ottawa and Surrey, Canada. If any of you Canadian peeps are up for a little research, please post a comment 🙂 I’d love to get in touch with the Canadian branch of our family too 😀 I am not sure if they kept the surname Seljeset, or maybe they simplified it and started using only Knudson…?
Here is a picture of my great-grandmother and her 3 siblings. I do not know for sure when this was taken, but I think it could have been around 1930, meaning the brothers visited back home in Norway:
Peder, Helga, Oline and Ivar with their parents:
Those are my great-great grandparents, Knut Severin Ivarson Seljeset (1850-1933) and Ragnhild Anna Pedersdatter Lødøen (1849-1936). How kewl is that??? 😀 😀 😀
These files are free for your personal use and enjoyment. I scan all my ephemera in 600 dpi. Go to the download folder below to grab your high quality copies:
Did you enjoy this post? If you are not already a confirmed follower of Wings of Whimsy, please click “Follow” to register and make sure you don’t miss future posts on WoW:
- WordPress-users: in the top left corner of your browser window to register your WordPress-account
- Other readers: in the bottom right corner of your browser window to register your email-address