Here is a fun craft to do with old books:
- Trim your pages to the precise same width, cutting with a ruler and a blade is useful to ensure precision.
- Measure the size of the page precisely, mine are 130mmx210mm.
- Create a custom setting for your printer
- Print one letter per page, keep an eye on the size of the graphics, you might want to downsize it a little… I printed mine in 75% of full size
- Use a pencil to mark the middle point, directly under the E
- Measure the distance from the bottom edge of the page to the bottom edge of the E (the largest of the letters)
- Copy the pencil mark in the same spot to the other letters
- Cut out a triangle from the book page, using the pencil mark and the two bottom corners as guidelines.
- Use an edge punch or decorative scissors if you want the edge decor
- Accordion fold 2 pages into 8 sections each
- Fold each page into a half rosette, and glue it together
- Glue the two halves together to create a whole rosette
- Punch paper buttons out of decorative scrap paper
- Sew the buttons on top of the rosette with twine
- (Alternatives: you can use real buttons, or glue the paper circle to the rosette rather than sewing it)
- Attatch the rosette to the flag, I punched a small hole near the top edge of the flag and used the string from the sewing to thread through it, but you can glew the rosette also).
- String your printed garland
- Hang and TA-DAH: Vintage INSPIRE :-).
The high quality PNG-letters for INSPIRE can be found in the download folder below. The files are free for your personal use and enjoyment.
Here are a few more graphics I have printed onto book pages:
PNG-files (transparent background) and graphics on white backgrounds work the best for this project. Now what to use all those cute book pages for…? Stay tuned for more book page crafts 😀
Did you enjoy this post? If you are not already a confirmed follower of Wings of Whimsy, please click “Follow” to register and make sure you don’t miss future posts on WoW:
- WordPress-users: in the top left corner of your browser window to register your WordPress-account
- Other readers: in the bottom right corner of your browser window to register your email-address